YA-YA Youth Joined With Organizations from the Dignity in Schools Campaign (Sikh Coalition, Sistas & Brothas United, Make the Road, Future of Tomorrow & DRUM NYC) at the
Student Safety Act Hearing on Monday, April 15, 2013
Check out our media coverage on Democracy Now!
Youth attended City Hall hearings attended by the Department of Education, NYPD and our elected officials demanding that they address the high number of arrests and suspensions in our New York City Public schools, advocating for guidance interventions and support for students and school staff!
DID YOU KNOW?
- Nationwide, over 3 million students are suspended out of school each year.
- In New York City in 2010-2011, there were 73,441 suspensions in public schools.
- Students with disabilities in NYC are four times more likely to be suspended than students without disabilities.
- LBTQ students are four times more likelyt o be suspended than their peers.
- More than 38,000 Black students are suspended every year in NYC, and the majority are male.